Founded: September 2, 2011
First service event: blood drive on October 8, 2011
EIN: 36-4861478 assigned on 3/17/17
THANK YOU to our volunteers and partners who have served with us to make a difference in our community!
2017 Year-End Report:
In 2017 we hosted 72 events and performed 880.5 hours of service. Since 2011, we’ve hosted 531 events and performed 5,212.75 hours of service.
Our 2017 blood drives collected 67 units; we’ve collected a total of 243 units since 2011 (at dedicated blood drives; other units / individual donations not recorded).
Our 2017 summer book drive raised 97 books and our holiday toy drive raised more than 50 STEM-themed toys.
16% of our members attended at least one event in 2017 (86 of 535). There were 299 sign-ins at events overall in 2017 (active members attended an average of 3.5 events).
We performed 880.5 hours of service (including direct, indirect, and event administration time). The value of this service is $20,744.58 (based on Independent Sector national rate).
In 2017 our Board of Directors met for the first time. We held two meetings, February 7th and June 20th. Several members have changed. Current members are: Tee Rogers, Karen Sullivan, and Jocelyn Williamson. We end 2017 with three vacant board positions.
Our total 2017 expenses were $7,960.70. We received:
- $507 in cash donations from members
- $580.28 in in-kind donations (such as food brought to events)
- $150 from UUU Church
- $1,000 grant from Foundation Beyond Belief (for the FreeFlow service project)
We achieved Gold team status with the Foundation beyond belief in 2016 and 2017.
In 2017 we became an affiliate of American Atheists. We continue our affiliation with the American Humanist Association. We affirm membership with the Florida Humanist Association and the Coalition of Reason. We affirm we are an endorsing organization with the Secular Coalition for America.
Photo of the year, 2017: BE. Orlando members joined the UCF Marine Biology team with Dr. Linda Walters for a shoreline stabilization project – and the shell bags we planted survived the active hurricane season!
Agencies we’ve served (since 2011)
Our service at an agency does not imply or constitute endorsement or affiliation. We support the people, animals, and/or issues served by these agencies through service and in-kind donations. This list includes agencies where we have volunteered or donated items / money to support specific needs, programs, or initiatives.
- Adult Literacy League
- American Heart Association
- Back to Nature Wildlife Refuge
- Boys and Girls Club
- Canaveral National Seashore
- Central Florida Blood Centers
- Central Florida Freethought Community
- Coalition for the Homeless
- Cornerstone Hospice
- Equality Florida
- Florida Humanist Association
- Fly By Night, Inc.
- Habitat for Humanity
- Harbor House of Central Florida
- Harvest Time International
- Heart of Florida United Way
- Hole in the Wall Gang camps
- Hope Helps
- Hope and Help Center
- Humanist and Secular Services at UCF
- Indian River / Mosquito Lagoon rehabilitation efforts
- In Harmony With Nature Animal Haven
- International Red Cross
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Mustard Seed
- National Down Syndrome Congress
- National Park Services
- New Hope for Kids
- Ocean Conservancy
- Oyster reef restoration project – Mosquito Lagoon
- Pet Rescue by Judy
- Planned Parenthood
- Ronald McDonald House
- SafeHouse of Seminole
- Second Harvest Food Bank
- Secular Student Scholarship at UCF
- Seminole County Natural Lands & Leisure Services
- The Center
- UCF Blood Drives
- UCP of Central Florida
- Volusia County Parks and Recreation
- Wekiva Springs State Park / Wekiva Wilderness Trust
- Wounded Warrior Project
- Zebra Coalition
In-Kind Donation Drives we’ve held
- Annual – STEM-themed holiday toy & book drive
- Annual – Warmies Project (hand made scarves, hats, blankets, etc. for local shelters)
- Annual – United Way Day of Action Book Drive to support summer literacy initiatives
- Kids Need Bikes! Holiday drive (SafeHouse of Seminole)
- Wolf Drawings – child drawings of wolves to benefit a refuge
- Community Food & Outreach Center
- Harbor House Presents of Hope Program
- Kids are Cold! jacket/blanket drive for the Coalition
- Holiday presents for kids at the Coalition
- Toys for Tots
- UNDERPANTS! (for the Coalition for the Homeless)
- Empowering Kids through Coloring Pages (book project for local shelter children)