Laughter is essential to human connection. Bringing joy to someone – just making them smile or laugh – can change their day. Sometimes, change their life. How will you use April Fool’s day to connect to and uplift others?
March Highlights & News
Pi Day Week was approximately awesome. The 6th annual Math, Science, & Pi(e) event on March 10th at the Coalition for the Homeless engaged 16 volunteers and served more than 30 at-risk children. THEN, on Pi Day, we had an amazing evening at SafeHouse of Seminole where we served Mellow Mushroom pizza and did fun math art activities with the resident youth – and adults! For dessert…so much Pi(e)! And after the event volunteers relaxed & enjoyed (Pi)zza & a (Pi)nt at Mellow Mushroom. 🙂
BE. Orlando was featured in an article in the Humanist EDge.
Our application for chapter status with the American Humanist Association is in process. We need one more AHA member, who is also a BE. member, to sign the application – could that be you? Let us know at BEOrlando@live.com.
Thank you to those who attended the Secular Advocacy Dinner on March 15. And a special thanks to Ryan Bell and members of the Secular Student Alliance at UCF who made service a priority during the national office visit to the university. They joined BE. for a tour SafeHouse, prepared lunch for the residents, and played outside with youth.
Upcoming Events – April
RSVP & Details: Meetup.com/BEOrlando
- 4/7 – help set up UCP’s 25th annual Gala event
- 4/8 – join CFFC for their monthly park cleanup
- 4/9 – Donate blood with fellow Knights at the BIG Blood Drive at UCF
- 4/4 – last day to sign up for April’s SafeHouse meal serve
- 4/11 – Meal serve at SafeHouse – Luau!
- 4/14 – Volunteer at Second Harvest Food Bank
- 4/18 – Humanist Peer Support and Discussion Group
- 4/19 – Symphony Under the Stars at UCF
- 4/21 – Central Florida Earth Day festival – volunteer at our vendor tent, donate blood, help with our on-site service project, or just enjoy the festival
- May preview: BOOK DRIVE – Throughout May we’ll host our annual book drive supporting summer literacy initiatives in our community. Start looking for great STEM-themed books and books that highlight women and minorities in STEM and other successful professional or historic roles.
Special Days in April
Visit our Humanist Calendar
Happy 77th birthday, AHA! The American Humanist Association was founded in April, 1941 by two Humanist Unitarian ministers to recognize the non-theistic and secular nature of Humanism, organize its advocates, and educate. They are the oldest organization addressing the breadth of Humanism in the United States. Learn more at americanhumanist.org.
- 4/2 World Autism Awareness Day
- 4/3 Happy Birthday, AC Grayling
- 4/9 Happy Birthday, Sam Harris
- 4/12 Yuri’s Night (Cosmonaut’s Day)
- 4/13 Happy Birthday, Christopher Hitchens (1949-2011)
- 4/13 Happy Birthday, Madalyn Murray O’Hair (1919-1995)
- 4/15 Freedom From Religion Foundation incorporated nationally (1976)
- 4/19 Ask an Atheist Day
- 4/21 Central Florida Earth Day Festival at Lake Eola
- 4/21 Astronomy Day
- 4/22 Earth Day
- 4/25 DNA Day
- 4/27 Arbor Day
- 4/28 Pay it Forward Day
Member’s Favorite Positive Life Quote
Contributed by: Esther
“The powerful play goes on and you will contribute a verse. What will your verse be?”
–Dead Poet’s Society
March Photo of the Month
Volunteers at Math, Science, & Pi(e)!