BE. Orlando proudly sponsors “BE. THE CHANGE”, an award and book scholarship for members of the Secular Student Alliance at the University of Central Florida whose commitment to our community and philosophy of secular community engagement set an example of excellence in service.
- A Certificate of Community Engagement for each member who meets the requirements below
- A $150 award to the member with the highest number of service hours
- A $75 award to the member with the second highest number of service hours
- In the case of a tie for either first or second place, a panel of two or more individuals will review the students’ statements on secular service and determine a winner.
- must be enrolled at UCF full time (12+ credit hours for undergraduate and 9+ for Graduate and Post Baccalaureate programs);
- must be a member in good standing of the Secular Student Alliance at UCF;
- secular service statement should demonstrate an understanding of secular civic responsibility and engagement. The student’s faith or non-faith identity will NOT impact eligibility.
- Even though this is intended as a book scholarship award, if a Senior wins the award in their final semester, they will still receive the award amount in cash.
- Only one award per year per student (one year from award date).
Requirements – What you accomplished and why it is important.
- Service hours must be documented within the semester (First day of class to last day of class as documented in the Academic Calendar).
- Minimum service engagement is 15 hours of documented hands-on service to a non-profit organization in our local community.
- Service hours must be documented by the charity, to include a description of the work (such as “sorted food” or “hosted registration table for [fundraiser event]”) and entered into KnightConnect. Click HERE for a sample hours log.
- A brief statement on why it is important for Secular Americans to engage in volunteerism. There is no length requirement. Specific examples from your service experiences illustrating the impact of service on yourself and others should be included. These statements may be used in the determination of the prize.
- Statement may be published; however, the applicant has the option of remaining anonymous.
Deadlines & Timelines
- Applications should be submitted within one week (5 business days) of the last day of classes.
- The two top winners will be contacted very soon after that deadline so that they can arrange pick-up of funds in time to purchase books for the following semester.
- Certificates will be provided to the organization president for distribution at the first general meeting of the next semester.
Fall 2016 Application for Community Engaged Secular Students recognition
All fields are required for eligibility. Documentation must show service hours were completed between August 22 and December 3, 2016.