- Register. The last day to register to vote is October 9th. Visit RegistertoVoteFlorida.gov for more information.
- Vote. The general election is on November 6th. Early voting will be open Oct 27 – Nov 3. Find dates here: https://dos.myflorida.com/elections/for-voters/election-dates/
Thank you all for BEing a member, and especially to those who have invested the time to serve with us. Making a difference with you has been awesome!
In September we had a great day sorting donations, making family boxes, sorting potatoes, and labeling cans to support Second Harvest Food Bank.
Important update: We’ve updated our agreement with SafeHouse for the monthly meal serve. Moving forward, at least 7 volunteers must confirm in order to hold the event. We hope you can join us & keep this tradition going.
If you haven’t yet, please confirm your membership: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2WKHYTZ
Upcoming Events – October
RSVP & Details: Meetup.com/BEOrlando
- 10/3 Last day to RSVP for SafeHouse
- 10/10 Serve dinner at SafeHouse
- 10/14 CFFC Park Cleanup
- 10/17 Recovering From Religion Peer Group
- 10/27 Central Florida Veg Fest
At UCF: Humanist and Secular Services at UCF is hosting two workshops on October 20th: InterWorldview Inclusion and Atheism & Humanism. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in more information.
Special Days in October
Birthdays: Mahatma Gandhi (2nd, 1869);
Founding Dates: Planned Parenthood (16th, 1916)
- LGBTQ+ History Month – In 1994, Rodney Wilson, a Missouri high school teacher, believed a month should be dedicated to the celebration and teaching of gay and lesbian history, and gathered other teachers and community leaders. They selected October because public schools are in session and existing traditions, such as Coming Out Day (October 11), occur that month. The month has been recognized and supported on a national level by GLAAD, HRC, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, and other national agencies.
- 10/2 – Be The Change Day / Non-Violence Day – Celebrated on the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi.
- 10/9 – Ada Lovelace Day – held on the second Tuesday in October, this day celebrates the accomplishments of women in STEM, to increase the profile of women in STEM fields, and to encourage girls to explore STEM careers. Lovelace’s visionary contributions to computer science went unrecognized for more than a century.
- 10/11 – National Coming Out Day – Started in 1988, this day is celebrated annually on October 11th, the anniversary of National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights (1987).
- 10/12 – Freethought Day – On October 12, 1692, the governor of what is now Massachusetts declared that “spectral evidence” would no longer be admissible as court evidence. With a stroke his pen, nearly every charge was dropped against the accused “witches,” and many were pardoned. This marked the end of the Salem witch trials. Freethought day is about the separation of church and state, freedom from faith-biased prosecution and discrimination, and being visible in the community to alleviate mystery and misunderstanding about non-theism. This is sometimes referred to as “Freethought Coming Out Day”.
- 10/13 – Astronomy Day – In 2018, the dates are April 21st and October 13th. Astronomy Day is a world-wide event observed each spring and fall. The lunar influence on the schedule means that the events happen on a different date each year, rather than set calendar dates.
- 10/19 – National Donate for All Day – a day declared by our friends at Banned4Life, an organization dedicated to ending discriminatory regulations preventing gay males from donating blood. On this day, we ask those who are able to donate to give on behalf of those who cannot. Banned4Life was founded in 2007 by Blake Lynch and his partner Brett, students at UCF who were denied the opportunity to donate blood.
- 10/23 – Mole Day -You guessed it – Celebrated on October 23, 6:02 a.m. – 6:02 p.m., Mole Day commemorates Avogadro’s Number (6.02 x 1023), which is a basic measuring unit in chemistry. Learn More: MoleDay.org
September photo of the month
This BE. Orlando crew spent an afternoon making family food boxes and more at Second Harvest Food Bank.