BE. volunteers prepared a fantabulous Thanksgiving-themed meal for our November monthly meal service at SafeHouse of Seminole. Eleven volunteers prepared more than 20 dishes including chicken, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, vegetable dishes, fruit platters, salad, breads, olives & cheese, potatoes, pasta dishes, and more. Dessert included apple and pumpkin pies and creative turkey cupcakes!
For those in shelters and experiencing other challenges, loss, or isolation, the holidays can be a particularly difficult time. Volunteers who invest the time to make a difference provide not only a comforting meal, but also demonstrate compassion and create community. They give the gift of hope.
Thank you to our volunteers for their time, talent, and donations. And thank you to EVERYONE who takes the time this holiday season to make a positive difference. Remember that every face you see has a story you don’t know, every heart misses someone, and everyone benefits from the kindness of others. Whether you volunteer, make a donation, or just take a moment to help someone in the grocery store, you make the world a better place.
“There is more good than bad in the world; more light than dark. And YOU can make more light.” – Robert H. Reynolds
Get involved with us this holiday season!
We have some great opportunities for giving, volunteering, and just plain socializing in the next month or so.
- Donate STEM toys! Participate in our STEM Toy Drive – bringing math & science themed toys to holiday gift programs for at-risk children in our community. Last drop off is the morning of December 17th. [Read more]
- Donate blood! Join us at Target in Oviedo on December 10th from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Get on the bus with us, drop off STEM toys, or just say hello – we’d love to meet you. Look for the BE. Orlando and the Central Florida Freethought Community community tents in the parking lot near the Big Red Bus. [Read more]
- Support a scholarship! Looking for a great way to make a last-minute donation before year end? Join us in supporting a new local scholarship fund supporting secular students at UCF. [Read more]
- Volunteer! Our Christmas Holiday meal serve at SafeHouse is on the second Wednesday of the month. Membership is required and space is limited, so visit soon. [Read more]
- Join the Leadership Team! After five years of serving our community and our members, we are establishing an advisory board to help us increase our impact and achieve some longer-term goals. If you are interested in serving on the advisory board, please contact BEOrlando@live.com for more information.
Recently at an advocacy event we were approached by a Christian who wanted advice on including their newly “out” Atheist son in the family tradition of grace before meals. As the holidays come closer, mixed-perspective family and friend groups can feel stress and fear of being excluded or excluding others. Please visit our site on Secular Gratitude for information on secular reflection, grace, and “prayer”, as well as a collection of popular secular and multi-perspective inclusive examples.
- SafeHouse of Seminole
- Holiday STEM toy Drive
- Make an appointment for the 12/10 blood drive
- BE. Orlando event calendar
- Secular Gratitude
- Secular Student Scholarship Fund