Update 3/26/16 – We are sad to announce that Governor Scott signed this uninformed, misogynistic, discriminatory bill into law yesterday, restricting access to birth control and other important services for women and men and de-funding the largest provider of reproductive education and care in our state. We sincerely hope this is challenged in court, and we continue to stand with Planned Parenthood. #StandWithPP
FYI & Call to Action to support women’s rights
Between now and the end of March is the time to make your voice heard.
0n 3/8/16, SB 1722 legislating discriminatory faith standards to minimize women’s access to health care was laid on the table by the senate (passed, moved to House). On 3/11/16 the House passed the bill (HB1411) and it is currently with Governor Scott pending approval. If approved the bill will go into effect on July 1, 2016.
Please take the time to use the links below and educate yourself about this issue, and if you would stand with us, use the portal to send a message of support for access to affordable reproductive care in Florida
From Planned Parenthood, this bill “blocks access to birth control and cancer screenings, and includes Texas-style restrictions on safe, legal abortion that could shutter health centers throughout the state. This is just the latest state-level attack on women’s access to health care fueled by the lies anti-abortion extremists keep telling about Planned Parenthood health centers and the quality, compassionate care they provide.”
- Ask Governor Scott to VETO this bill – Portal
- Member Call to Action – BE. Orlando
- Stand with Planned Parenthood – Florida Action Resources
- Stand with PP Facebook profile image generator
- Planned Parenthood Statement on SB1722 / HB 1411
- Read Senate Bill 1722
- Bill History & Details – House
- Bill History & details – Senate
- Learn more about the variety of affordable health services provided by Planned Parenthood.
- Humanist Discussion on Abortion (British Humanist Association)