Every year on June 14th the World Health Organization sponsors a global outreach initiative to educate people everywhere about international issues related to blood donation and to recruit regular, voluntary blood donors.
Please join BE. Orlando & PintClub in supporting this effort by sharing the information about World Blood Donor Day and, if possible, by donating blood on the weekend of June 12-14. Our neighbors in Central Florida can visit OneBlood.org to find the Big Red Bus locations and donation centers; everywhere else, do a Google search to find blood donation centers in your area or contact your local hospital for information.
Every two seconds in America, someone needs blood to survive. A car accident victim could need 50 or even 100 units of blood – yet only 37% of the US population is eligible to donate blood, and only 10% donate regularly. Visit PintClub.org and click on “Why Give Blood” for more reasons to save a life today.
We thank every member of BE. Orlando and our greater community who has donated blood or advocated for blood donorship. Thank you for saving lives with us!
PintClub joined in a partnership with a fellow blood donor advocate in Kenya, John Ireri, and others to launch a new facebook forum page for blood donor advocates around the world to engage in dialogue that inspires, seeks solutions, and creates a community of international blood donor advocates. Check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/IBDAforum
Did you know:
- Only 45% of the global blood supply is collected in developing countries, which are home to more than 80% of the world’s population
- In sub-Saharan Africa, fewer than 3 million units of blood are collected each year for a population of more than 700 million people
- Out of 80 countries that have donation rates of less than 1% of the population (fewer than 10 donations per thousand people), 79 are in developing regions.
- The average number of blood donations per 1,000 population is 11 times higher in high-income countries than in low-income countries.
- Central Florida blood donation locations: http://OneBlood.org/
- World Blood Donor Day: http://www.who.int/campaigns/world-blood-donor-day/2015/en/
- BE. Orlando: http://JustGottaBE.org/
- PintClub home: http://PintClub.org
- International Blood Donor Advocates: https://www.facebook.com/IBDAforum